English
21.02.2026
12:07:00
VUKELIĆ: EXODUS AS TRAGIC LESSON SHOWS WHY REPUBLIKA SRPSKA MUST BE PROTECTED
BEOGRAD, FEBRUARY 21 /SRNA/ – The exodus of Serbs from Sarajevo in February and March 1996 was an epic tragedy and a warning to Serbs of how important it is to have their own state and to preserve Republika Srpska, Nikola Vukelić, State Secretary at Serbia’s Ministry of Labor, Employment, Veterans and Social Affairs, told SRNA.
"The example of Sarajevo shows what the fate of Serbs in Banja Luka, Bijeljina, Trebinje, or any other city in Republika Srpska would have been had Srpska not been defended in war and preserved in peace. There would practically be no Serbs left," Vukelić told SRNA. He pointed out that the departure of Serbs from the Sarajevo valley was an extremely painful concession by the Serb side and one of the most tragic events of the wars of the 1990s, as what had been defended in war was surrendered in peace. Vukelić pointed out that before the war, Sarajevo was one of the largest Serb cities in the then state, whereas today in that city, as in all other areas where territory was ceded, Serbs are practically absent or present only in small numbers. He stated that for decades after the war, Sarajevo cultivated a narrative of Serb aggression and of the city as a victim, but described this as a historical falsification, arguing that Serbs had lived there for centuries. "Serbs in BiH were a constituent people. They were always on the right side of history and brought freedom in the First and Second World Wars, yet were labeled aggressors simply because they defended themselves and sought to preserve a minimum of freedom and a life worthy of human dignity," Vukelić concluded. The mass exodus of Sarajevo Serbs officially began on February 17, 1996, from Serb municipalities of Sarajevo that, following the signing of the Dayton Peace Accords, were assigned to the Federation of BiH /FBiH/, and lasted almost until the end of March that year. It is estimated that between 120,000 and 150,000 Serbs left their homes in the municipalities of Ilidža, Ilijaš, Vogošća, Hadžići, Rajlovac, Grbavica, and Novo Sarajevo, with one of the most distressing aspects being the exhumation and transfer of the remains of the deceased to the territory of Republika Srpska.
English
14 minutes from now
ŠILJEGOVIĆ: REPUBLIKA SRPSKA WORTH EVERY SACRIFICE
ISTOČNO SARAJEVO – The Serbs who were subjected to the harrowing exodus from Sarajevo 30 years ago paid dearly for their freedom, but thanks to their...
19 hours ago
KOŠARAC: EXODUS OF SARAJEVO SERBS REMAINS HAUNTING LEGACY OF ETHNIC CLEANSING
SARAJEVO, FEBRUARY 21 /SRNA/ – The exodus of Sarajevo Serbs, who left their ancestral homes 30 years ago, remains the most harrowing story of sufferin...
23 hours ago
RADIĆ: REPUBLIKA SRPSKA ATTRACTIVE TO TOURISTS, BUT GREATER INVESTMENT IN OFFER NEEDED
BANJA LUKA, FEBRUARY 21 /SRNA/ – Republika Srpska has much to offer and can make use of global trends, as more and more tourists are visiting rural ar...
23 hours ago
FIRST CONSTITUTION AND ASSEMBLY OF SERB PEOPLE LAID GROUNDWORK FOR REPUBLIKA SRPSKA
ISTOČNO SARAJEVO, FEBRUARY 21 /SRNA/ – The first Constitution of Republika Srpska, proclaimed 34 years ago, and the historic decision by Serb deputies...
23 hours ago
JANJIĆ: IMAGES OF EXODUS ONE OF THE MOST HARROWING EPISODES OF MODERN EUROPE
BEOGRAD, FEBRUARY 21 /SRNA/ – Images of the exodus of Sarajevo Serbs following the signing of the Dayton Peace Accords, when many even transferred the...
1 day ago
ILIJA BAKMAZ WINS 30TH ROMANIJA GUSLE ASSEMBLY "ROMANIJO, GORO OD JUNAKA"
SOKOLAC, FEBRUARY 20 /SRNA/ – Gusle player Ilija Bakmaz from Sokolac won the jubilee 30th Guslars' Assembly "Romanijo, Goro od Junaka", held this even...