English
20.05.2026
14:01:00
DESECRATION OF ORTHODOX CHURCH IN TUZLA STRONGLY CONDEMNED
SARAJEVO, MAY 20 /SRNA/ – The Interreligious Council in BiH has strongly condemned the desecration of the Church of Saint George the Great Martyr at the Serbian Orthodox cemetery in Tuzla, stressing that this not being the first attack on religious sites in the city is concerning.
"Precisely for this reason, in addition to sanctioning those responsible, more effort must be invested in preventing such events through stronger protection of religious facilities, mutual respect, and preservation of the cultural and historical heritage of all peoples in BiH, " the Interreligious Council cited in a statement. The statement added that such incidents cause distress among believers and citizens, especially given the significance this church holds for the Orthodox community in Tuzla. The Council noted that the Church of Saint George the Great Martyr represents an important spiritual, cultural, and historical monument protected by BiH. "The protection of religious buildings and cultural monuments must be a shared obligation of the entire society and institutions," the Interreligious Council stated. The Council welcomed the fact that officers of the Tuzla Canton Ministry of Interior are already investigating the case and expressed hope that the perpetrators will soon be identified and appropriately sanctioned. At the Church of Saint George the Great Martyr in the Serbian Orthodox cemetery of Trnovac in Tuzla, the doors were broken down and items inside the church were scattered. This is one in a series of attacks on the Serbian Orthodox Church in Tuzla. Several months ago, the Church of the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos in Tuzla was desecrated, and threats were sent to worshippers. The Tuzla Canton Police Administration told SRNA yesterday that an investigation had been conducted at the Church of Saint George the Great Martyr at the Serbian Orthodox cemetery of Trnovac in Tuzla, which had been desecrated by one or more unknown persons, and that the competent prosecutor had been informed. A Tuzla resident identified by the initials M.Č. /63/ reported to police that a break-in at the church had occurred between May 7 and May 19.
English
1 hour ago
OSTOJIĆ: WE ARE READY TO HELP SERBS LIVING OUTSIDE REPUBLIKA SRPSKA
BOSANSKO GRAHOVO, AUGUST 19 /SRNA/ - Republika Srpska Minister of Labor, War Veterans and Disabled Persons' Protection Radan Ostojić today thanked the...
1 hour ago
MINIĆ: MORE YOUNG PEOPLE, MORE LIFE IN THE SOUTH OF SRPSKA
TREBINJE, AUGUST 19 /SRNA/ - Republika Srpska Prime Minister Savo Minić said that he heard one of the best information during the celebration of the T...
1 hour ago
TRIBUTE PAID TO 56 REPUBLIKA SRPSKA ARMY SOLDIERS KILLED ON MAJEVICA
LOPARE/MAJEVICA, AUGUST 19 /SRNA/ - A memorial service was held today at the memorial site in Grabik on Mount Majevica for 56 Republika Srpska Army so...
2 hours ago
CHURCH OF THE TRANSFIGURATION OF THE LORD - TRUE ROOT OF SERBIAN PRESENCE IN SARAJEVO
SARAJEVO, AUGUST 19 /SRNA/ - Mayor of Istočno Sarajevo Ljubiša Ćosić said that the church in Pofalići is a true root of the centuries-old presence of...
2 hours ago
TREBINJE CHILDREN'S VISIT TO CORFU - A BRIDGE BETWEEN ILLUSTRIOUS ANCESTORS AND DESCENDANTS
BELGRADE, AUGUST 19 /SRNA/ - History is best learned in the places where it was made, which is why it is invaluable that children from Trebinje will a...
2 hours ago
OŠAP-GAĆANOVIĆ: I WAS NOT DISMISSED, HASANOVIĆ SHOULD RETRACT HIS STATEMENTS
SARAJEVO, AUGUST 19 /SRNA/ - Anđelina Ošap-Gaćanović said that she had not been dismissed from her position as a member of the Commission to Preserve...