English

14.06.2026

Time17:50:00

FIVE SERBS ARRESTED OVER ALLEGED CRIME IN RAČAK, IMMEDIATELY BROUGHT BEFORE JUDGE

PRIŠTINA, JUNE 14 /SRNA/ – Five Serbs from the areas of Štrpce and Gnjilane were arrested today on suspicion of involvement in an alleged war crime in Račak in January 1999.

PRIŠTINA, JUNE 14 /SRNA/ – Five Serbs from the areas of Štrpce and Gnjilane were arrested today on suspicion of involvement in an alleged war crime in Račak in January 1999.



The head of the so-called War Crimes Investigation Directorate, Bashkim Spahiu, said that N.B., S.J., B.P., S.N., and S.S. had been arrested, while a sixth suspect was not found at his address in Štrpce. All five were brought before a pre-trial judge of the Basic Court of the provisional institutions in Priština, who is expected to decide on further measures. Representatives of the so-called Special Prosecutor’s Office in Priština and the so-called Kosovo Police stated at a press conference today that the arrested men were former members of Serbia’s Ministry of Interior and allegedly participated in a police operation in Račak in January 1999. Prosecutor Ilir Morina, responding to questions about how evidence had emerged 27 years later against individuals who had continuously lived in Kosovo and Metohija, said that “justice is delivered when there is evidence” and added that the suspects had been identified on the basis of two video recordings. Morina stressed the investigation into the Račak case had identified several other individuals allegedly involved in the events, and that search and arrest warrants were executed today in connection with those findings, according to Kosovo Online. The Serb List stated that the arrests were unfounded and represented institutional violence and a continuation of the persecution of the Serb people in Kosovo and Metohija. In December last year, the Prosecutor’s Office in Priština filed an indictment in absentia against 21 individuals for an alleged war crime against civilians in Račak during the 1999 conflict in Kosovo and Metohija. They were charged with the alleged killing of 42 civilians during a Serbian police operation in Račak. The village of Račak was known as a stronghold of the so-called Kosovo Liberation Army /KLA/, from which attacks against police officers and civilians were beling launched, resulting in multiple deaths. The continued attacks from Račak led to a police operation against the so-called KLA, with the immediate trigger being the killing of one police officer on January 10 and three others two days earlier. Immediately after the clashes in Račak, the then head of the OSCE mission to Kosovo and Metohija, William Walker, accused Serbian forces of allegedly massacring 45 unarmed Albanians, while this ungrounded accusation was later used as a justification for NATO’s bombing campaign against the then Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.

English

Time6 hours ago

GENERAL MLADIĆ TO BE EXAMINED TOMORROW BY CARDIOLOGIST FROM SERBIA

GENERAL MLADIĆ TO BE EXAMINED TOMORROW BY CARDIOLOGIST FROM SERBIA

BELGRADE, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ - General Ratko Mladić is in the weakest condition he has ever been in and was unable to utter a single word during our vis...

Time9 hours ago

SELAK: WE ALREADY HAVE THE NECESSARY FRAMEWORK, OTHER CALLS ARE PURE POPULISM

SELAK: WE ALREADY HAVE THE NECESSARY FRAMEWORK, OTHER CALLS ARE PURE POPULISM

BANJA LUKA, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ — Republika Srpska is a leader in BiH and the region in the fight against corruption and organized crime, with a strong l...

Time9 hours ago

LINTA: ZADAR COURT'S RULING OVER SONG "OJ, KRAJINO, MOJA MILA MATI" ANTI-CIVILIZATIONAL

LINTA: ZADAR COURT'S RULING OVER SONG "OJ, KRAJINO, MOJA MILA MATI" ANTI-CIVILIZATIONAL

BELGRADE, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ - Chair of the Association of Serbs from the Region Miodrag Linta described the Zadar Court’decision anti-civilizational fo...

Time11 hours ago

MINES FOUND - REMNANTS OF SFOR WEAPONS DISPOSAL OPERATIONS

MINES FOUND - REMNANTS OF SFOR WEAPONS DISPOSAL OPERATIONS

BRČKO, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ — Explosive ordnance and ammunition parts found in the wider area of the pheasantry in Brčko were in fact unexploded remnants...

Time11 hours ago

KNEŽEVIĆ PRESENTS DOCUMENTS SHOWING SPAJIĆ IS A MEMBER OF SERBIAN ARMED FORCES

KNEŽEVIĆ PRESENTS DOCUMENTS SHOWING SPAJIĆ IS A MEMBER OF SERBIAN ARMED FORCES

PODGORICA, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ - Democratic People’s Party President Milan Knežević presented at a press conference a document which he claims shows that...

Time11 hours ago

85 YEARS SINCE CLOSURE OF USTASHA GOSPIĆ-JADOVNO-PAG CAMP COMPLEX

85 YEARS SINCE CLOSURE OF USTASHA GOSPIĆ-JADOVNO-PAG CAMP COMPLEX

BANJA LUKA, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ — The Ustasha Gospić-Jadovno-Pag death camp complex, which preceded the notorious Jasenovac camp, was shut down on this d...

See all

Copyright © 2023 News Agency of the Republic of Srpska - Srna. All rights reserved. The content of these pages may not be transmitted without permission and without citing the source