English
15.06.2026
11:02:00
ARCHPRIEST KOJIĆ: TODAY WE MOURN AND REMEMBER, BUT WE DO NOT HATE
MOSTAR, JUNE 15 /SRNA/ – The dean of the Holy Trinity Cathedral in Mostar, Archpriest Duško Kojić, said in his sermon following a memorial service held at the cathedral to mark 34 years since the exodus and suffering of Serbs from Mostar and the Neretva Valley, as well as the burning of the cathedral, that the Serb people today mourn and remember, but do not hate.
Archpriest Kojić reminded that on this day in 1992 the Holy Trinity Cathedral was set on fire, but that the hopes of the Serb people in Mostar were also destroyed, and that it was the day when Serbs were expelled from the city. "With this destroyed and burned cathedral, it was not only a building that was destroyed, but an attempt was made to destroy everything that generations had acquired, created and built. Memories of numerous baptisms, weddings, funerals, memorial services and farewells to our loved ones that took place in this church were destroyed," Archpriest Kojić said. He added that Serbs today remember all those events, but also bear witness that the attempt failed. "This cathedral is being rebuilt, but so too is what makes this cathedral, and that is its people. The community is being rebuilt. That is precisely why every commemoration of difficult moments in our history begins in a church, with prayer, because we know that what happened and what is happening now is not the final word. The final word belongs to our Lord Jesus Christ," the priest emphasized. The Serb people, he said, have the right today to grieve, remember and feel pain over everything that happened. "Today we have the right to grieve, remember and feel pain, but we do not have the right to hate. We do not have that right on any day of the year because we are Christians and because our people are a heavenly people. Because we are ready to rise from every fire and every pain with faith in God, to forgive, to reconcile and to build," Archpriest Kojić added. He said that after the service those gathered would go to the settlement of Buna, another place of suffering, where roses would be cast into the water for the missing and the victims, but also because of what he described as an injustice that has yet to be corrected. Today marks 34 years since the exodus of the Serb people from Mostar and the Neretva Valley, during which 431 people were killed and more than 30,000 people left their homes. On this day, the Holy Trinity Cathedral in Mostar was also set on fire. In June, at least 81 Serbian Orthodox Church properties in the Zahumlje-Herzegovina and Littoral Eparchy were damaged or devastated. Of that number, 24 were located in the Municipality of Mostar. According to preliminary research findings, there were ten camps and detention sites for Serbs in the territory of Mostar. Serbs from Mostar were also taken to camps in other municipalities, and records show that Serbs from Mostar were detained in at least 28 camps and detention facilities. These figures do not include detention sites located in private buildings, where Serbs were held individually or in small groups. The most notorious detention sites were the former military clinic, the HOS headquarters, the Ćelovina prison in Mostar, as well as the Dretelj camp in Čapljina, a camp in Ljubuški, and the notorious Lora camp in Split. According to data processed so far, during the war at least 843 detained persons of Serbian nationality from Mostar and other places in the Neretva Valley were registered in major prisoner exchanges between the warring sides.
English
10 hours ago
LINTA: SHAMEFUL TREATMENT OF GENERAL MLADIĆ BY HAGUE MECHANISM
BELGRADE, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - The president of the Alliance of Serbs from the Region, Miodrag Linta, said that it was shameful and inhumane that the In...
12 hours ago
GENERAL MLADIĆ'S TREATMENT IN SERBIA OR RUSSIA SHOULD BE URGENTLY APPROVED
BANJA LUKA, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - The Organization of Senior Officers of the Republika Srpska Army has said that General Ratko Mladić should be urgently...
12 hours ago
PERSON ARRESTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE ATTEMPTED MURDER OF DAVOR DABIĆ
ISTOČNO SARAJEVO, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - A person linked to the attempted murder of Davor Dabić in Istočno Sarajevo, which occurred on August 3, has been...
12 hours ago
REQUEST TO CRISHOCK TO LIFT BAN ON ŠEŠELJ ENTERING BiH
BIJELJINA, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - Lawyer Mirko Blagojević has requested that the 1998 decision declaring SRS leader Vojislav Šešelj persona non grata and...
12 hours ago
KOVAČEVIĆ: "OPPOSITION JOKERS" DO NOT MIND SCHMIDT IMPOSING NEW ELECTION TECHNOLOGIES
BANJA LUKA, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - "Opposition jokers" are trying to falsely portray the SNSD as allegedly being afraid of new election technologies becau...
12 hours ago
DEBEVEC RESIGNS FROM COURT OF BiH POSTS BEFORE DISCIPLINARY MEASURE IS HANDED DOWN
SARAJEVO, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - Ranko Debevec resigned as a judge and president of the Court of BiH before the disciplinary commission of the High Judici...