English

24.06.2026

Time12:49:00

SUFFERING OF MARTYRS IN THE PRIDVORCI PIT HAS NOT BEEN FORGOTTEN

TREBINJE, JUNE 24 /SRNA/ - A memorial service was held today at the pit in the village of Pridvorci near Trebinje for 13 Serbs who were thrown into the Pridvorci pit by local Ustashe in the night between 23 and 24 June 1941.

TREBINJE, JUNE 24 /SRNA/ - A memorial service was held today at the pit in the village of Pridvorci near Trebinje for 13 Serbs who were thrown into the Pridvorci pit by local Ustashe in the night between 23 and 24 June 1941.



Three Serbs managed to escape from the execution site and warn the rest of the population, which prevented a larger-scale massacre of the Serb population of Trebinje and the surrounding area. Priest Milan Bužanin said that today they remember the Herzegovinian martyrs, all those who suffered in 1941 and 1942 in that area. "What was especially painful for us was not suffering at the hands of foreigners, but suffering at the hands of our own neighbors. But the Lord says in the Gospel that we should pray for our enemies and have love for them. By this, it will be known that we are truly His children, His disciples, and worthy followers," Bužanin said. A descendant of the victims, Željko Šakota, told reporters that his great-grandfather was killed in this pit, and that it is very important to preserve the culture of remembrance of this event. "Without truth, there is no life; everything that is bad is born from ignorance. The chapel, memorial, and burial site in Podgljivlje have been built, thanks to everyone who helped. We serve the liturgy at both sites," Šakota said. A resident of Pridvorci, Srbo Škero, said that he learned about the site of the suffering of the Pridvorci martyrs in 1991, when the late Bishop Atanasije marked the location, and that this terrible truth had been hidden from the public. At the initiative of descendants of the killed Serbs from Pridvorci, a memorial chapel was built in 2006 next to the Pridvorci pit. A memorial service for the victims was also held at the city cemetery in Podgljivlje. The mortal remains of seven Pridvorci Serb martyrs were laid to rest in a newly built tomb at the Trebinje cemetery in Podgljivlje in October 2022. Alongside the martyrs of Prebilovci and Lower Herzegovina, the Assembly of the Serbian Orthodox Church included in the Diptychs of Saints all other martyrs who suffered for their faith in Herzegovina during the Second World War, including the martyrs from the Pridvorci pit and the Jagodnjača pit. All of them, as the Holy Martyrs of Prebilovci and other Herzegovinian martyrs, are commemorated on August 6. Flowers were laid at the monument to the Pridvorci victims at the city cemetery by representatives of the Trebinje city administration and descendants of the victims.

English

Time8 hours ago

GENERAL MLADIĆ TO BE EXAMINED TOMORROW BY CARDIOLOGIST FROM SERBIA

GENERAL MLADIĆ TO BE EXAMINED TOMORROW BY CARDIOLOGIST FROM SERBIA

BELGRADE, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ - General Ratko Mladić is in the weakest condition he has ever been in and was unable to utter a single word during our vis...

Time11 hours ago

SELAK: WE ALREADY HAVE THE NECESSARY FRAMEWORK, OTHER CALLS ARE PURE POPULISM

SELAK: WE ALREADY HAVE THE NECESSARY FRAMEWORK, OTHER CALLS ARE PURE POPULISM

BANJA LUKA, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ — Republika Srpska is a leader in BiH and the region in the fight against corruption and organized crime, with a strong l...

Time11 hours ago

LINTA: ZADAR COURT'S RULING OVER SONG "OJ, KRAJINO, MOJA MILA MATI" ANTI-CIVILIZATIONAL

LINTA: ZADAR COURT'S RULING OVER SONG "OJ, KRAJINO, MOJA MILA MATI" ANTI-CIVILIZATIONAL

BELGRADE, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ - Chair of the Association of Serbs from the Region Miodrag Linta described the Zadar Court’decision anti-civilizational fo...

Time13 hours ago

MINES FOUND - REMNANTS OF SFOR WEAPONS DISPOSAL OPERATIONS

MINES FOUND - REMNANTS OF SFOR WEAPONS DISPOSAL OPERATIONS

BRČKO, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ — Explosive ordnance and ammunition parts found in the wider area of the pheasantry in Brčko were in fact unexploded remnants...

Time13 hours ago

KNEŽEVIĆ PRESENTS DOCUMENTS SHOWING SPAJIĆ IS A MEMBER OF SERBIAN ARMED FORCES

KNEŽEVIĆ PRESENTS DOCUMENTS SHOWING SPAJIĆ IS A MEMBER OF SERBIAN ARMED FORCES

PODGORICA, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ - Democratic People’s Party President Milan Knežević presented at a press conference a document which he claims shows that...

Time13 hours ago

85 YEARS SINCE CLOSURE OF USTASHA GOSPIĆ-JADOVNO-PAG CAMP COMPLEX

85 YEARS SINCE CLOSURE OF USTASHA GOSPIĆ-JADOVNO-PAG CAMP COMPLEX

BANJA LUKA, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ — The Ustasha Gospić-Jadovno-Pag death camp complex, which preceded the notorious Jasenovac camp, was shut down on this d...

See all

Copyright © 2023 News Agency of the Republic of Srpska - Srna. All rights reserved. The content of these pages may not be transmitted without permission and without citing the source