English

28.06.2026

Time17:38:00

STEVANOVIĆ: I SAW HIM BEING CAPTURED AND SLAUGHTERED

BANJA LUKA, June 28 /SRNA/ – In a testimony published by the Republika Srpska Memorial Centre, Staniša Stevanović from the hamlet of Brađevina near Srebrenica spoke about the capture of his cousin Stojan Stevanović, who was captured and had his throat slit by Muslims on June 27, 1992, while he was unable to help him.

BANJA LUKA, June 28 /SRNA/ – In a testimony published by the Republika Srpska Memorial Centre, Staniša Stevanović from the hamlet of Brađevina near Srebrenica spoke about the capture of his cousin Stojan Stevanović, who was captured and had his throat slit by Muslims on June 27, 1992, while he was unable to help him.



"They attacked us on June 27, 1992. Stojan was asleep. He got up barefoot, wearing only socks, trying to flee the village toward the Grabovica River. They caught him there and took him prisoner. They then took him behind Živko Stevanović's house, knocked him to the ground and slit his throat," Staniša testified. He added that at the time he was on guard duty above the village and that from his position he saw what was happening, but was unable to help. After the attackers left, he went down with several other men and recovered Stojan's body. They placed it on a handcart and took it to the road by the Grabovica River. From there, Stojan's son Milovan took the body to a garden, where an autopsy was performed. That day, five other residents of the Brađevina hamlet were killed along with Stojan – Vlado Pavlović, Slavoljub Petrović, Novica Stanojević, Radoje Jovanović and Ljubiša Gajić. All were killed in a brutal manner. Staniša testified about the attack and the killings before the International Court in The Hague, the District Court in Bijeljina and the Supreme Court in Banja Luka, the Memorial Centre announced. Although he gave a detailed account of what had happened, justice for the Serb victims in the area, as he says, had never been served. "That's how it is. There are no tears for Serb victims. Very few people have been held accountable for crimes against Serbs," Staniša Stevanović said. His house was burned down, his livestock was taken away, and his family fled to Serbia. He remained at the front. He lost everything, but survived and raised seven children. Today, he has eighteen grandchildren. Staniša now lives by the Grabovica River, on property he bought after the war. He has a large family, but the memory of June 27, 1992, and everything that happened that day remains with him forever. To mark the 34th anniversary of the suffering of Serbs in the Central Podrinje and Birač region, the Republika Srpska Memorial Centre will present a series of testimonies about the suffering of the Serb people in the area during the 1992–1995 Defensive-Patriotic War that have so far been little known to the wider public. The testimonies will be published daily on the Republika Srpska Memorial Centre's digital platforms. The central commemoration for the 3,267 Serbs killed in the Central Podrinje and Birač regions will be held in Bratunac on July 4 under this year's slogan: "You are not invited to Bratunac, you go to Bratunac."

English

Time9 hours ago

GENERAL MLADIĆ TO BE EXAMINED TOMORROW BY CARDIOLOGIST FROM SERBIA

GENERAL MLADIĆ TO BE EXAMINED TOMORROW BY CARDIOLOGIST FROM SERBIA

BELGRADE, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ - General Ratko Mladić is in the weakest condition he has ever been in and was unable to utter a single word during our vis...

Time12 hours ago

SELAK: WE ALREADY HAVE THE NECESSARY FRAMEWORK, OTHER CALLS ARE PURE POPULISM

SELAK: WE ALREADY HAVE THE NECESSARY FRAMEWORK, OTHER CALLS ARE PURE POPULISM

BANJA LUKA, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ — Republika Srpska is a leader in BiH and the region in the fight against corruption and organized crime, with a strong l...

Time13 hours ago

LINTA: ZADAR COURT'S RULING OVER SONG "OJ, KRAJINO, MOJA MILA MATI" ANTI-CIVILIZATIONAL

LINTA: ZADAR COURT'S RULING OVER SONG "OJ, KRAJINO, MOJA MILA MATI" ANTI-CIVILIZATIONAL

BELGRADE, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ - Chair of the Association of Serbs from the Region Miodrag Linta described the Zadar Court’decision anti-civilizational fo...

Time15 hours ago

MINES FOUND - REMNANTS OF SFOR WEAPONS DISPOSAL OPERATIONS

MINES FOUND - REMNANTS OF SFOR WEAPONS DISPOSAL OPERATIONS

BRČKO, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ — Explosive ordnance and ammunition parts found in the wider area of the pheasantry in Brčko were in fact unexploded remnants...

Time15 hours ago

KNEŽEVIĆ PRESENTS DOCUMENTS SHOWING SPAJIĆ IS A MEMBER OF SERBIAN ARMED FORCES

KNEŽEVIĆ PRESENTS DOCUMENTS SHOWING SPAJIĆ IS A MEMBER OF SERBIAN ARMED FORCES

PODGORICA, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ - Democratic People’s Party President Milan Knežević presented at a press conference a document which he claims shows that...

Time15 hours ago

85 YEARS SINCE CLOSURE OF USTASHA GOSPIĆ-JADOVNO-PAG CAMP COMPLEX

85 YEARS SINCE CLOSURE OF USTASHA GOSPIĆ-JADOVNO-PAG CAMP COMPLEX

BANJA LUKA, AUGUST 20 /SRNA/ — The Ustasha Gospić-Jadovno-Pag death camp complex, which preceded the notorious Jasenovac camp, was shut down on this d...

See all

Copyright © 2023 News Agency of the Republic of Srpska - Srna. All rights reserved. The content of these pages may not be transmitted without permission and without citing the source