English

24.07.2026

Time14:32:00

UN YET TO RESPOND AFTER MORE THAN TWO MONTHS TO REJECTION OF GENERAL MLADIĆ'S MEDICAL RELEASE REQUEST

BELGRADE, JULY 24 /SRNA/ - The defense team of General Ratko Mladić has been waiting for more than two months for a response to a letter it sent to UN human rights committees following The Hague’s latest rejection of his request to be allowed to travel to Serbia for medical treatment due to his serious health condition, the general’s son Darko Mladić told SRNA.

BELGRADE, JULY 24 /SRNA/ - The defense team of General Ratko Mladić has been waiting for more than two months for a response to a letter it sent to UN human rights committees following The Hague’s latest rejection of his request to be allowed to travel to Serbia for medical treatment due to his serious health condition, the general’s son Darko Mladić told SRNA.



"We still have no response. In general, they are slow to reply, and it can take months. They should at least provide us with some answer," Darko Mladić said. He announced that his father would be visited in The Hague next week by Serbia’s Ambassador to the Netherlands and State Secretary Livija Pavićević, and on Friday, he will be visited by two of his closest wartime comrades and friends, one from Republika Srpska and one who now lives abroad. Darko Mladić said that The Hague authorities had not accepted any recommendations from doctors in Serbia regarding his father’s treatment and that they were "pushing ahead with their own approach" to his therapy. He and his youngest son spoke with the general today via video call. Darko says that he is in poor but stable condition. "We talked a little for half an hour. I am happy that his condition is stable now and that it does not get worse," Darko said. He noted that his father had also been visited over the past two weeks by priest Vojislav Bilbija, and that they had even managed to play a game of chess. He added that all these visits mean a great deal to the general. "Someone is always with him," Darko said. Regarding the making of a film about his father, Darko said that 95 per cent of the material has been recorded and that editing will begin once they obtain a computer. On May 14, the Hague Mechanism rejected the defense’s request for General Ratko Mladić to be released for medical treatment in Serbia due to his serious health condition. Immediately afterwards, the defense appealed to various UN human rights committees, which have so far not responded. The general has been in the detention hospital in The Hague since 2024, where he is receiving palliative care. The International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals in The Hague has repeatedly rejected requests for General Mladić to be granted temporary release for medical treatment in Serbia.

English

Time5 hours ago

LINTA: SHAMEFUL TREATMENT OF GENERAL MLADIĆ BY HAGUE MECHANISM

LINTA: SHAMEFUL TREATMENT OF GENERAL MLADIĆ BY HAGUE MECHANISM

BELGRADE, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - The president of the Alliance of Serbs from the Region, Miodrag Linta, said that it was shameful and inhumane that the In...

Time7 hours ago

GENERAL MLADIĆ'S TREATMENT IN SERBIA OR RUSSIA SHOULD BE URGENTLY APPROVED

GENERAL MLADIĆ'S TREATMENT IN SERBIA OR RUSSIA SHOULD BE URGENTLY APPROVED

BANJA LUKA, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - The Organization of Senior Officers of the Republika Srpska Army has said that General Ratko Mladić should be urgently...

Time7 hours ago

PERSON ARRESTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE ATTEMPTED MURDER OF DAVOR DABIĆ

PERSON ARRESTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE ATTEMPTED MURDER OF DAVOR DABIĆ

ISTOČNO SARAJEVO, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - A person linked to the attempted murder of Davor Dabić in Istočno Sarajevo, which occurred on August 3, has been...

Time7 hours ago

REQUEST TO CRISHOCK TO LIFT BAN ON ŠEŠELJ ENTERING BiH

REQUEST TO CRISHOCK TO LIFT BAN ON ŠEŠELJ ENTERING BiH

BIJELJINA, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - Lawyer Mirko Blagojević has requested that the 1998 decision declaring SRS leader Vojislav Šešelj persona non grata and...

Time7 hours ago

KOVAČEVIĆ: "OPPOSITION JOKERS" DO NOT MIND SCHMIDT IMPOSING NEW ELECTION TECHNOLOGIES

KOVAČEVIĆ: "OPPOSITION JOKERS" DO NOT MIND SCHMIDT IMPOSING NEW ELECTION TECHNOLOGIES

BANJA LUKA, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - "Opposition jokers" are trying to falsely portray the SNSD as allegedly being afraid of new election technologies becau...

Time7 hours ago

DEBEVEC RESIGNS FROM COURT OF BiH POSTS BEFORE DISCIPLINARY MEASURE IS HANDED DOWN

DEBEVEC RESIGNS FROM COURT OF BiH POSTS BEFORE DISCIPLINARY MEASURE IS HANDED DOWN

SARAJEVO, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - Ranko Debevec resigned as a judge and president of the Court of BiH before the disciplinary commission of the High Judici...

See all

Copyright © 2023 News Agency of the Republic of Srpska - Srna. All rights reserved. The content of these pages may not be transmitted without permission and without citing the source