English

27.07.2026

Time18:06:00

SPANIARDS FIGHTING ON MULTIPLE FRONTS, THREAT FROM LEFTOVER WEAPONS IN THE EAST

MADRID, JULY 27 /SRNA/ - Spanish authorities are battling fires on multiple fronts, including one near Madrid and another major blaze in the east of the country, which could pose a danger to firefighters due to leftover weapons and ammunition.

MADRID, JULY 27 /SRNA/ - Spanish authorities are battling fires on multiple fronts, including one near Madrid and another major blaze in the east of the country, which could pose a danger to firefighters due to leftover weapons and ammunition.



Authorities have described the fires around Madrid as "the worst in history." The head of the regional government's firefighting service in Valencia, Chevi Bolumar, told TVE that there is a significant amount of old ammunition from the Spanish Civil War near Vall d'Uixó, in the eastern province of Castellón, which could explode. Eastern Spain was a stronghold of the legitimate Spanish Republican government, which fought and lost power to nationalist rebels supported by the fascist governments of Germany and Italy during the conflict in the late 1930s. According to the latest available data, Spanish authorities discovered and destroyed 36 explosive devices from that period in Castellón province in 2024, including artillery shells, mortar rounds and hand grenades. Meanwhile, more than 360,000 people have been evacuated in Spain and France due to wildfires. The situation is particularly dangerous near the French city of Bordeaux, where a massive fire has created its own storm, making firefighting efforts practically impossible. At the same time, a wildfire west of Bordeaux has ravaged 42,000 hectares of forest, an area larger than the British Isle of Wight, and destroyed 240 homes. The fire has weakened somewhat following light rain overnight, but it is still not under control. The number of wildfires and the extent of damage in EU countries so far are significantly above average, with 1,325 fires and 378,000 hectares of land burned. However, the damage this year is still below the record level recorded in 2025, when more than one million hectares of land were burned in EU countries, Sky News recalls. Between July 15 and 22, more than 180,000 hectares were burned in EU countries.

English

Time4 hours ago

LINTA: SHAMEFUL TREATMENT OF GENERAL MLADIĆ BY HAGUE MECHANISM

LINTA: SHAMEFUL TREATMENT OF GENERAL MLADIĆ BY HAGUE MECHANISM

BELGRADE, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - The president of the Alliance of Serbs from the Region, Miodrag Linta, said that it was shameful and inhumane that the In...

Time6 hours ago

GENERAL MLADIĆ'S TREATMENT IN SERBIA OR RUSSIA SHOULD BE URGENTLY APPROVED

GENERAL MLADIĆ'S TREATMENT IN SERBIA OR RUSSIA SHOULD BE URGENTLY APPROVED

BANJA LUKA, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - The Organization of Senior Officers of the Republika Srpska Army has said that General Ratko Mladić should be urgently...

Time6 hours ago

PERSON ARRESTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE ATTEMPTED MURDER OF DAVOR DABIĆ

PERSON ARRESTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE ATTEMPTED MURDER OF DAVOR DABIĆ

ISTOČNO SARAJEVO, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - A person linked to the attempted murder of Davor Dabić in Istočno Sarajevo, which occurred on August 3, has been...

Time6 hours ago

REQUEST TO CRISHOCK TO LIFT BAN ON ŠEŠELJ ENTERING BiH

REQUEST TO CRISHOCK TO LIFT BAN ON ŠEŠELJ ENTERING BiH

BIJELJINA, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - Lawyer Mirko Blagojević has requested that the 1998 decision declaring SRS leader Vojislav Šešelj persona non grata and...

Time6 hours ago

KOVAČEVIĆ: "OPPOSITION JOKERS" DO NOT MIND SCHMIDT IMPOSING NEW ELECTION TECHNOLOGIES

KOVAČEVIĆ: "OPPOSITION JOKERS" DO NOT MIND SCHMIDT IMPOSING NEW ELECTION TECHNOLOGIES

BANJA LUKA, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - "Opposition jokers" are trying to falsely portray the SNSD as allegedly being afraid of new election technologies becau...

Time6 hours ago

DEBEVEC RESIGNS FROM COURT OF BiH POSTS BEFORE DISCIPLINARY MEASURE IS HANDED DOWN

DEBEVEC RESIGNS FROM COURT OF BiH POSTS BEFORE DISCIPLINARY MEASURE IS HANDED DOWN

SARAJEVO, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - Ranko Debevec resigned as a judge and president of the Court of BiH before the disciplinary commission of the High Judici...

See all

Copyright © 2023 News Agency of the Republic of Srpska - Srna. All rights reserved. The content of these pages may not be transmitted without permission and without citing the source